Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We all are a little bit "crazy"

I think this, non politically correct term can at times can be used to describe EVERYONE I know. I was talking with a beautiful woman the other day and I thought about what she said, about wondering if she infact was maybe a little bit more crazy then the rest of us. (I believe the answer to that is no)

I have in my life spent ( previously) 11 years working with  individuals who have been diagnosised to be clinically depressed, schizophrenic, bi-polar, disasociative personailty disorder, boarder line personality disorder and of course the dual diagnosised as well. I am no expert in "crazy" I am however very much aware of what "labelling" someone can do.

There are those that will run away from a label ( not wanting to stick out from the crowd) those like me who will use it to sheild insecurities (If I am wrong, or unsure it,I find very easy to hide behind a the learning disability label - even though I KNOW it no longer affects me the same way) and then there are those that seek the label - so they can excuse their behaviour.

In this world, Labels will get you the help you may need or want, but they can also trap you into a way of thinking that is limiting. No one knows what it is like to be you, however many go through life feeling the exact same way. Yesturday I wrote about the swampwenches, each of them have their own "crazies" just like me. The biggest lesson I learned from them in dealing with it, is to do just that! Be it talk, medication, or simply move on and accept what your life threw your way. (Friends are the ones who know all your "crazies" and keep you and cherrish you anyways!)

No amount of wallowing in my "Daddy" issues is ever going to change my father. Having a learning disability made me look at the world differently then some, my innoncence in life may have lasted a little longer then others. My addicition to shopping and finding the perfect bag has brought me to this point with you today. So am I a little bit more crazy then others? I don't know

I do know that inside each labelled disorder is a person I care about, a person's who's feelings and thoughts on the world are much more important then any label they get wrapped in. After all the years I have worked in the field I have, and all the people in my life who have struggled with mental health issues.. all I do know for sure, without a shadow of a doubt.. is that they bring to my world all the good bits! Because really, life would simply be boring without a little bit of crazy!


Live Love Laugh and GIVE

The purse junkie no more.

No comments: