Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fall is in the Air...Plaid, totes and penny loafers in the shops.

The Darling Friend from Sudbury said it best "September always feels like a new begining" I think this is because we are all conditioned to believe it is a "fresh" start,  a new school year, and since so many of us spend so long in school , it is not surprising.

September to me, was returning to Toronto after summers in British Columbia with my dad, while I love my father, returning home to mom and back to school shopping was always my favourite experience. A shopping tradition I coninued until this year - mom even bought me back to work outfits after my maternity leave - how much does she ROCK  ( I mean it is the trend and fashion season of the year people!) This year, I did the first off to school shop for My Beautiful Little Lady. Three years and eight months and she is off to school. Excited and full of anticipation. She thinks that this is the most amazing thing in the world (she loves to learn) BIG girl school, oh my it takes everything in me not to cry.

So to celebrate this transition with her, of course I did what any mom who is able to does -- I filled her closet with nice dark wash jeans, cute sweaters, bright hoodies and a few very nice knit dresses. Shoes are all that are left. The Fashionable Friend from Ireland sent the most amazing fall jacket ( it has a belt! oh so cute) so she is good to go, with her oversized princess knapsac ( what am I suppose to put in here???)

No major purchases for me this September , I like my mother before me .. have passed the torch to the next lady in the family. September off to school shopping begins for her, in a few years ,who knows what she will want to wear, but this year I get to dress her in penny loafers, cardigans and jeans. She is off to experience only what going to school can give you in life... your first true independance away from "caregivers".

I wish for great teachers, fantastic friends, amazing imagination and a desire to learn. Something I wish and want for all children.  no bags for you today.. but please think of donating to your local school breakfast program, family shelter, food bank, buy a text book for a college student -- help kids reach their potential today.

If you get a chance, share a back to school moment with me in my comments section -- I would love to hear from you all.

Live, Love, Laugh and GIVE

The Purse Junkie no more.

2 comments:

Faiza said...

Hey Purse Junkie!

I have two older brothers and got a lot of hand me downs from them.

I loved going back to school because it meant I could get brand new school supplies and a brand new World Famous canvas bag to go with my hand me downs which to be honest, weren't really that bad.

Happy back to school with your Beautiful Litlle Lady!

F

Melanie said...

Thanks Faiza :)

I remember the World Famous Canvas Bag - had 2 one black with buttons (of duran duran) and an off white one with doodles ...

I can smell sharpened pencils just thinking about it

Melanie