Monday, September 28, 2009

Love, Friendship and time passing

Darling friend from Sudbury has departed for the next month, and the fashionable friend from Ireland has her bags packed and is on her way. I am planning on having a good time over the next little while. Yet mixed in all of the happiness in seeing friends, is the sadness of saying a final goodbye to my grandmother. I can look at her life and know it was long, and I know how much she was loved. I also know that she was lucky in this life to have had at least one life long friend.

When talking with my friends, I do realize how lucky I am at my age to have such wonderful , yet very rare friendships. I have 4 girlfriends known among all of us as "Swampwenches" a name earned during many rainy and very long camping trips in mud! (not to mention long road trips along US highways without any light, or gas stations for miles)  The drinks sure did help make the time pass and that helped the mud seem not so gross. I have a picture on my wall of that particular trip - the youngest wench and I went for a coffee into town ( anything really for me to get out of the campsite, oh yeah and the caffine addiction) and we returned to find the entire site packed up days early because really after so many days in the rain even we had enough! Our lives have changed, from divorce, to marriage, to babies, to finding a new reason to move through life   finding new careers to picking it all up and moving North.We know that the others are there, even when our lives are not intertwined the way they were before kids.    From  a time when  Saturday nights were about getting dressed up going to My Apartment,  The Phoenix, Indian Motorcylce club and whatever other club we visited and drinking crispy crunch shots, tequila sunsets and anything else that came around in those test tubes. Our very own version of Sex in the city.

Along the way I made some other really great friends,people whose presence in my life has made it colourful and full of the good stuff.  I have come to believe that in life woman must support, and  raise each other up, and smack down when stupidy takes hold. I think that once we get passed the competing and the pettiness that can ruin female friendships, we have the oppourtunity to create great love filled relationships that augment our lives.

As we turn more to computurized friendships, social networking and other forms of "disconnected" connections, I hope we remember how good a cup of coffee shared with a friend looking at you can be.

So.. I raise my evening coffee to you my "disconnected" connected friends - and look forward to a life filled with friendship, family, love and laughter.. For like my grandmother I want be calling someone in 50 years and looking  at a life well lived, with shared memories.


Live Love Laugh and GIVE

the purse junkie no more

1 comment:

Sasha said...

Thanks for this read.

The Youngest of the Swampwenches. xo