Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wired 24/7

I just got to watch a twenty minute segment on TVO's the agenda. It was a show that was looking at a variety of ways that technology is affecting our lives, how much we depend on it and how it adds and takes away from our interactions with each other.

It really is an interesting thought. I have, like some of the shows participants looked at technology as something that is a "neutral" element in life. One that can be as good or as bad as you let it be.
For example, for me the "now" of twitter was like information addiction, knowing what others are thinking and doing, is like having the voice in your have questions answered before you could even ask. It is a strange sensation, and a in my opinion creates a very false sense of connection with others. Social networking is likely way above my understanding, the way in how it can be used effectively and productively. I feel like the net can bring us together , but I also feel like it drives us all further apart, as we rely more and more on "disconnected" connections. It is something to monitor in ourselves, we best make sure that we connect with each other face to face once in awhile too!

Facebook is another thing all together, I have recently begin to look how "connected" I am, between cell phones, blogging ( which I love) and facebook ( which I am so so on) I wonder if I could give up the "social net-working" sites and just give this blog and my real live friends all the efforts. For years now, people have been stuck behind a screen, connecting by text, instant messaging and other "pings" "pokes" and "bumps", wonder if we should start up more "coffee shop" chats.

Decluttering the world connections , not something I could completely do, could I chill out on the facebook checking, and email obsessive checking - very likely. I need to find more time in my day for connecting with live people, sitting down and really listening and connecting with others.

This for me is something techonology did take away alittle for all of us, we connect.. but do we really??? What do you think..  Tell me

The purse junkie no more

We will see where this new train of thought takes me.. wh

No comments: