Thursday, October 1, 2009

The battle of self image - knowing why and making the change

I have mentioned many times how many great woman I get to interact with on a daily basis. For those readers I will explain why. I work in social services, within a treatment agency that provides IBI treatment to children who have been diagnosised with Autism Spectrum Disorder on the severe end of the spectrum. This is a field, that while men do work in it, they are just hugely out numbered by woman.

One of the greatest things about working in my field is watching those that provide the treatment learn new techniques, and the very best part... watching them teach a skill  to a child ( 4 times more likely to be a boy then a girl) that will become the foundation of so many more. The basis for the work they do is Applied Behaviour Analysis. Essentialy they are woman whose job in life is to change behaviour, this was once my job too. (They have a whole bag of tricks think Pavolv and  B.F. Skinner) None of us are experts, but when your job is to change behaviour, you would think our own behaviour change would be easy.
Pavlov

For those that know me, you will know that I have fought the weight battle many times, and so have many of you. I was talking with some of the woman I work with, each having won  the battle at a time or two and lost it as well. I have quit smoking ( yes, I use it as an excuse to  explain the gain) , I do not drink, and I can give up almost anything . I have great will power - except with food. I know the root causes of my fluctuation in weight, apparently so do many of you. So why can't we change it? Especially when we know how?? How does the weight come back? I have no idea, and when I do I promise not to charge ridiculous sums of money to tell you. I do know that in talking with the ladies I felt good knowing that I was not alone in the struggle , and that I was not the only one who was very much aware of my own weight cycles. I also was not the only one who know when the time comes again I will jump back on the weight loss                   Skinner
wagon.

So no matter whose methods or theroys you believe in ( and the behaviour guys are a very good choice) I will look to all of you for encouragement and guidance when I join the battle of the buldge again. In the meantime - thanks for making me feel like I am not a failure, and that I too will finally make the "behaviour change again"

As for the pictures I borrowed them from Wiki. I copied these pictures specifically for  a friend in the EAST office who loves those 1970's glasses! I will miss you for the next few months as you go do something you are bound to be fantastic at! When you come back I promise I will have read at least another chapter  -  Verbal Behaviour (1957, Skinner)


Live Love LAUGH AND GIVE

The purse junki no more



No comments: