Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mall melt downs... and we survived!

Wow, change the rules and boy do you get an interesting response! So, I have in the past allowed my daughter to get a "treat" from the shops after spending a day shopping with me. I know not a good thing, but I did it. I know I am not the only one, because I see it everytime I go out. Well, yesturday was the day..no, treat. HUGE melt down. Screaming yelling, banging her feet. Yup, my beautiful little girl...became an "I want a Barbie" monster right in front of my eyes, and to my embarassment ( I hate public humiliation - do not single me out because of bad stuff ever, I loose it) ,... Oh and on a side note here, to all those people who think making comments like " Major meltdown there" are at all helpful .. SHUT UP either offer some words of support or go away. (Such as the lady in the elevator in who said - is she four? it gets better my grandaughter did the same thing) We handled it the best we could, we didn't back down. We left the store ( Dad went and  paid for everything - please note - no Barbie and the two videos that had been in the cart she didn't know about , also went back on the shelf.)

So on Saturday, we experienced what my  all friends would call the behaviour increase, the light at the end of the tunnel is on it's way.. it usually gets worse before it gets better is the saying written by behaviour therapists I am convinced. Well that was the worse I have ever seen my little four year old Angel behave, by far. Made me hate the mall, get mad at Jay and me and her all at once.

Homeward bound, an exhausted little miss, dad and mom pretty much did not say a single thing on the subway ride. Off to nap once home , then mom and dad talked it out.. We are not perfect parents.. but we are trying. She is a good kid, fighting to figure out what control she has, and why the rules to everything seemed to have changed.

Strange how one conversation with a teacher can lead to a chain of events that result in not only her learning lessons but us too.

So I take a big breath, and say thank you for my lessons. Saturday was tough, but it is now an experience we survived .. Chalk one up for the parents

Live love laugh

The purse junkie no more

2 comments:

Dawne said...

Love you guys - keep up the great work!! It will get better and you will be happier for it.

Faiza said...

good job M and yes keep being thankful for those lessons.