Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's going to be a GREEN day

It is funny how someone who works around, with and for children and adults with behaviour issues, missed some behaviour issues in her own child! And boy did I take it hard.. now in no way am I comparing my childs behaviour to that of a child who has ASD or am I saying they are at all similar in coping methods.. I am saying -- wow I reinforced some defiant behaviour. Now it is my job as mom and Jay's job as Dad - to turn it around!

So just turned four and full of spunk, knows her mind and is not afraid to tell you so are qualities I LIKE about my little girl. What I don't like is not listening, and hitting when she doesn't get her way., and apparently she screams NO once in awhile.  So expectations need to be made clear. We are following the schools GREEN = Good YELLOW= Warning and RED = Time out ( the whole supernanny thing) we of course will focus on praising the Green behaviours, providing choice during yellow behaviours and following through if we reach RED behaviours.

Mommy and Daddy had a good talk, we are on the same page and my mommy listened while I felt like a failure, so thank you mom! .. but in true me fashion, new page today and change of behavior plan now underway.. she stayed in the green this morning, rehersed about hands to ourselves and off she went. Fingers crossed today is a good day! I will be calling the teacher today to double check.

So tell me parent out there... how was four years old for you?? Did you get an attack of the "NO!" at your house?

Live LOVE Laugh .. PARENT

The purse junkie no more

PS - weigh in 3 days -- but checked on myself 4 pounds gone since re: commitment to myself!

3 comments:

Dawne said...

LOL!! you guys are wonderful parents, every kid expresses themselves differently and sometimes inappropriately. The great thing is you are communicating and dealing with it. Be prepared for a behavioural increase before a decrease and don't give up.
Love you ;o)

Faiza said...

I don't have any kids but I find this post fascinating. Way to go!

Melanie said...

Thanks guys ..