Friday, August 21, 2009

Winners --- oh so many bags!

So today as I walk by Winners - which I do everyday. I will say you do not need /want all those fabulous things! I have loved buying bags at winners simply because they are so much more affordable there! But no longer...

The only shopping for me now is groceries, Emma ( My Beautiful Little Lady), and gifts for others. The sheer amount of stuff in our little house is amazing really. Even toys - this past weekend I filled two huge garbage bags full of toys - of course headed to charity, however why did I ever think she needed so many??? Guilt for going back to work in the beginning, but other then that can't think why she needed 20 dolls?? What on earth am I teaching her?? She needs to anticipate things, work for them. Instead of it seems I have said "sure honey, mommy will buy yet again another toy". I didn't have 20 dolls as a kid. The need to surround myself with "things" ... now I gotta figure that one out! Insulation from judgment? I deserve it cause i can afford it???

I have only a couple of friends that are frugal, most are responsible consumers, and then I have many like me who are crazy about stuff. Every one of my shopping friends, I love. Some have a thing for great deals ( and thus do not spend ridiculous amounts) others love soaps and lotions, only a rare few truly understand the "rush" of the bag, many adore shoes.

Jay ( The Hubby) was beyond happy with this little attempt for me to stop shopping and examine why I do what I do.. he was often shaking his head when another new bag came in the house.. never one to say much about it, just would look at me and ask " another one? "

I have also come up with a plan.. the way in which I will weed out my current collection, when the time is right, item by item they will be posted - until they are all given away. The only cost to my friends will be one full environmental bag of food donated to a local food bank. So keep an eye on the blog and those who connect with me - I will likely also post on facebook.

And so.. on to a little less cluttered space - work. Where I have two black totes in my office drawer!

The purse junkie.. no more

1 comment:

Faiza said...

Love the idea of rewarding good deeds and changing your habits all in one!