Thursday, August 27, 2009

it is not how much we give but how much love we put into the giving - said by Mother Teresa

Today I was thinking about giving and what it truely means to give of yourself, your time your heart or energy to something outside yourself. I look at all the people around me, and wonder how I got so lucky to be surrounded by people who constantly give of themselves or their time and as said by Mother Teresa  giving of their love.

What does this mean - to give with love? I give in my life because it makes me feel better about myself to know that I have helped someone, unknown or otherwise.(I have yet to meet someone who does not "get back" when they give to others)  I give in my life, because I can, and I think that because, when I have needed someone to give to me in my life, I recieved what I needed.

Does giving with love - mean giving material things? I think so - The mom of two handsome twin boys, gave up two  crib matresses that her children - just this past week stopped sleeping in. As a mom, I know that while we wish our children to grow into strong, confident and caring human beings.. we also want them to remain the little babies we brought home. So this is a wonderful time in her life.. but one that is very emotional for most. Knowing that the beds she layed her own children in, will not be stored in the basement to collect dust for an eventual donation, she is instead facing every mom's fear of seeing the baby years go, meeting the need of others head on.. that is giving with love.

During the economically difficult times companies profits drop, they donate less. We as families fear for our own personal wealth loss. Do you not think instead of a time to give less, this should be the time to give more? Isn't that what the financial world does? Invest when low - reap the rewards when high? Maybe it is in how we give that must change, maybe instead of a cheque we volunteer, maybe we give time to listen and record the stories of the seniors sitting in nursing homes.. maybe we still write the cheques and find other ways to "cut back" (office supplies - who really needs a cupboard of this stuff?) Maybe we empty our closets. I don't know the anwer or even the question I am asking. I just think.. that when more need help, more need to give.

I have spent my entire adult life surrounded by people who give their time, their skills, their money and their energy everyday to other peoples children and families. They love what they do, so they continue to do it. And almost every single one of them do more outside of their working lives. Some volunteer, some participate in weekend runs and walks, others donate time and energy to feeding others on "food" filled holidays. Others like my sister live the life they give - fostering 6 teenage girls.  Many never say a word about what they do they just do what they do quietly, others talk or like me write about it. Every one of us gets when we give - and in doing so we give with love not only to others but to ourselves.

Maybe one of the lessons this blog is  is going to be teaching me - is to look at the beauty in the people around me, and see what they do and celebrate this life along side them - and give to those who give.

Who knows - today is a reflective day for me.. and the day I hand over the first bag :)

No comments: