Friday, August 28, 2009

Grandma and the plastic bag

This summer my grandmother passed away. She was almost 90 years old. It has been difficult at times, I do smile when I think of who she was. In writing this blog I thought about what my grandmother would think. I am not sure she would understand the concept of a "blog". I do think she would like what I was doing.


My grandmother Dorthy Elizabeth Woodruff was until the day she died a very fashionable lady. I have a fantastic picture of her from the 1940's in my diningroom - style from top to bottom - no one wore heels like grandma well into her late 70's I belive. Well she was fashionable, except for the plastic bag. she would take it every where with her. She had a classic black purse for winter and a light coloured bag for summer. And of course, the plastic bag was always with her, she carried her rain hat, maybe some kleenex and I really don't know what else.

Well you can imagine that this drove me insane. So I would get her those cute little carry bags ( even before the environmental bag movement) I would get little shoe bags that she could carry, little totes. Always, she would carry the IGA or Dominion plastic bag. She was recycling before "Reuse" was part if the three "R's".

No matter how many bags she was given by me, she never got rid of the plastic bag. When I was at her home after she passed away, I opened the hall closet and found a couple of the mini totes I had given her over the years ( I had given up by the mid 1990's) her black bag waiting for winter and a few very beautiful scarfs. I then heard my mom say , well look here is her plastic bag. I smiled, no matter how many times I tried, I never changed her plastic bag carrying ways.

I really wish I could put to words how great of a lady she was, but words will not cover it. So, if you see me wearing a beautiful black scarf this fall and smelling like blue grass perfume when I am walking down the street.. look in my hands .. I may be carrying a plastic bag too ..

Live, Love, Laugh ... GIVE

The purse junkie no more.

No comments: