Monday, December 28, 2009

The Red Sweater


The Red Sweater - our sister connection:
Every Christmas for about the last 8 years my sister and I have given each other the same gift back and forth.
Let me explain - about 9 years ago I was wearing this cute little red sweater that was part of one of those sweater sets that was popular at the time, my sister like it - and took it (somethings never change!) - Joking that she will give it back to me next christmas - sure enough she did..the following year I returned the favour (now out of style and not having worn it - I chuckled to myself as I wrapped it up) My sister thought it was a hoot - but instead of just wrapping it up again - she added a small bell to the sleeve cuff and gave it back to me the next year. Finding the bell was a surprise - but the challenge was on! I must return it with somehting significant attached -- so since I had given birth the year it was my turn to send it - I attached little booties to signify my little lady. Not to be out done my sister sent it back the next year with a small bird on the shoulder and officially labelled it by attaching the word christmas down the sleeve. The significance of the blue jay is profound and meaningful to my sister - she had upped the ante! so I thought long and hard - and serched for the perfect attachment to the sweater! The year of  our Paris trip and our five year wedding anniverairy - also a significant shopping year ( see bag list on sidebar - that is about one year worth of bags!) after pricking my fingers non stop while I sewed on the word Paris and a bag and shoe patch - off it headed to my sister for this years addition.  She returned with this years patch : a tribute to our grandmother - and angel to both of us now -  she is represented over the heart just where she will always be.
Next years patch is to be determined - but who knows what the years will bring - in tme it will belong to our daughters -- but not to be out done - my neice started a tradition the first year the little lady was born - they give each other the same birthday card each year - so far 4 years worth of messages and scribbles - it is beyond cute!

Some traditions are worth throwing out the window -- others are well worth keeping - to me I could receive nothing for Christmas but a ratty old sweater that is 40 years old - and that will be the best present in the world - simply because in years to come that shabby old red sweater will be the a snap shot of the life I have lead and the connection to a sister I have loved my whole life.

Live Love Laugh.. Share

2 comments:

Dawne said...

I love this story.....thanks for sharing.

Faiza said...

heart heart heart!