Thursday, December 10, 2009

Neighbours .. in the city

I love cities.. any city with a little bit of character and spunk is going to be one I want to visit. When hubby and I first had our little lady, we were not even close to thinking about a move outside the city.. more space, more this and that. - Nope in fact if we do ever sell the house - I want to go deeper into the core of the city.

I have heard others say in the city you don't get to know your neighbours.. I don't think that is true. I believe you have the option not to know them, but you can easily be involved in your city community as you can in a suburb or country town.

We live in East York ( actually an orginal planned Toronto neighbourhood, swallowed as the city expaned around it) and I do know my neighbours, in fact last night we were 3 doors down having a great pizza in dinner after having to pass on skating in the rain as the rink was closed. I also know and like the couple that live attached to us, and a few of the houses across the street have owners who we talk to on a regular basis. We have all had dinners together, shovel each others drive ways and know the name of the kids who also have playdates together or go to school together. I know the dogs and cats that live on our street - this is due to the little ladies love of four legged pets.

The community store on the street is owned by George a wonderful man- who has everything you need all the time - I have yet to need something and he didn't have it. ( seriously.. mint sauce, duck tape, incense you name it) There is a great pizza / burger / local bar just up the street that makes great food at a good price and to top it all off they actively particpate in community leagues etc. Golden Pizza is the name,and if you are ever near by --- I suggest the burgers.

Living in the city.. a 15 minute walk from Danforth is great. I know the people in my neighbourhood, I am a participant in my childs school life ( BTW -- want to buy chocolates, a magazine, or oranges or any other fundraising thing give me a call I can hook you up..LOL something different each week!) I go to festivals, see  and  walk the lakeshore, play in Ontario Place, walk the cobblestones of the Distillary and enjoy the Eaton Centre as my "mall" when I need to buy books or have a shopping spree kind of day. - all I have to do to get downtown is cross the bridge and the possiblities of what to do are everywhere, not to mention Yorkville!!! ah the window shopping is priceless.

Would I love to wake up and look out a window and see cows and chickens or whatever it is they have in the country -- sure I will visit if you invite me.. but I can be found in the city with my family any weekend of the year surrounded by what many try to escape - the chaos that is the life of a city dweller.

Some of you live in cities, one or two live in far away countries that I don't know anything about ( but would love to hear what it is like where you live) and some of you have yearned for life in the country.. so when you pack up to go and head to the bigger spaces.. invite me along and show me what you see, because right now in this moment.. it is a city life I love..

(whistle the Andy Griffen song with an upbeat guitar solo in the back..)

Live Love Laugh .. Love where you are

The purse junkie no more

No comments: