Tuesday, February 2, 2010

the "discomfort" of changing the way we eat

For those of you that know me,  you all know that I have always enjoyed a good meal -- seriously, I am a foodie at heart -- not some fancy foodie - but a good old fashion pot roast , potatoes loving girl. I do like many of the now widely available foods that were once oh so gourmet - but to tell the truth the true over indulgence is always those comfort foods - cheese, crackers, beef roasts, potatoes and pasta -- you know all the Yummy stuff.

So what makes this WW time around different, is I am willing to finally say no to the fat filled gravy, the old fashion cooking with butter and all those sauces - and to begin to look at food - not as a celebration , but as fuel to the body - now it still needs to taste yummy ( life is just to short to eat yucky stuff) but it is time to change what I consider "comfort" - so to honour myself and my family. I have slowly tried making some of those old favourites - differently. for example - on Sunday - instead of making the gravy from the meat drippings in the pan - they got fat free gravy made with onions and low sodium base -- was it as good , no but it saved all of them from too much salt and fat.  Oh and since I stuffed the pork loin roast - that was different too, this time I used veggies and whole wheat couscous. - little changes in the ingredients and big changes in portion sizes - allow me to stay within points and for the "big" Sunday meal - I hope they get use to the changes..

other great swaps I have made ( and all are yummy to me) as I move to world a world of more healthier choices:

Benefiber  - I take this 2 times a day - every day -- my stomach thanks me

Lifesmart pasta ( Sobeys, Food Basics, and Metro) 10g of fibre per serving ! and yummy - though the spagetti one is very good to my taste buds - Hubby needs it cooked a little longer then I like - Little lady LOVES it! -- also a big bonus -- no pasta bloat feeling or that too full just ate too much pasta pain I use to get - it is very filling and I just naturally eat less

Crispy Mini butter popcorn rice cakes - so I will always love the crunch and salt - now only 2 points for 2 and Little Lady loves them too! ( FANTASTIC with low fat cream cheese and tomato and fresh basil)

2% Kraft cheese -- melts well for cooking - fills the cheese need and well while not fat free still much lower then my cheese choices of before.

olive oil - a friend whose father is recovering from triple bi-pass surgery let me know that the cardiologist said olive oil is great - raw not cooked -- so no more frying of the olive oil ( will still roast the veg, but true benefit comes from just a little)  - a little added each day after cooking .

Coffeemate  Liquid - fat free instead of cream

Skim milk - No one in my house drinks anything about skim now, and when really cold it is yummy.

Lifesmart line / blue menu line = lots of yummy choices I just make sure fibre is high and sodium is low :)

While in a perfect world I would eat only organicially grown local food , and no processed food would ever touch my lips - I am just not there yet and don't know if I ever will be. But getting lower sodium, lower fat, higher fiber and better foods in my cupboards is doing wonders for me and I am learning -- creating a new me from the better choices I am making.. the jeans are lose , my hair is shinning and today the confidence is good -- my little girl said my tummy is smaller today, it is a good day.

Live Laugh Love and make the best choices you can


2 comments:

Faiza said...

hey m - i don't know if this applies to you but do you find that these changes are affecting the quality of your sleep at all?

Melanie said...

yes, I do sleep better, however hormones kick in once a month and i don't sleep well. What I really notice is a difference in in my digestive system... fibre really makes a difference.