Monday, March 1, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK -- TO ONE HELL OF A WOMAN - MY SISTER

While the third is her birthday , it is more fitting to celebrate an entire week, as she is an amazing woman who deserves the extra glitter a few more days will bring. My Sister and I, have had a story that will always be ours alone.. we have grown, we have faught, and cried and laughed. but it is only as I have grown older, sharing the joys and tears of motherhood, as I navigate the beauty of life that I  can truely begin to appreciate that - she loves me as I do her -- for exactly who we are.

To me she will always be snoopy crayons and mittens on the top bunk, presents opened before anyone else was awake, worms squished in hair, the only one who could brush my curls, orange cat strays .. and pink elephant unberellas. She will be why I went on the bus alone, the first spicy patty, flea market gold rings, and music I never understood the words but loved the beat. She will forever be the reason flirt chased me in circles around the kitchen. She is the one who safety let me explore things I really shouldn't have done - then made sure I never did them again. She will be the one who listened to fears , who I feared would disapear into being a grown up without me, and who would be there when no one else could be.

My life is filled with thousands of moments, of crazy hair, from growing and shrinking, to baby booties and the red sweater.. I am grateful - for while we have had our struggles, in the end she will always know - no amount of time apart, no amount of life evolutions will change one thing -- she is my sister, I love her and I am proud of her life, who she is and what she is in this world.

My big Sister -- Dawn I love you and I hope this year brings you more beauty, more love and happiness into your life. Your home is a safe haven for many, and that alone whould make you special -- but it is everything else about you, all the little things that only a few know that truely make you who you are.

To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. ~Clara Ortega



And for once --- I remembered -- for you know I have no memory for dates... I love you, Happy Birthday


Live Love Laugh ...Sisters

1 comment:

Faiza said...

happy birthday to dawn! what a beautiful gift your words are!